mr-3-2

Mr. 3-2 was a Screwed Up Click & Rap-A-Lot Records mainstay.

Multiple sources are confirming that the victim of a shooting in Southwest Houston last night is former Rap-A-Lot Records member and Screwed Up Click legend Mr. 3-2.

If you read the tea leaves on the legend of Mr. 3-2 (born Christopher Barriere), they can date back all the way to 1991. That year, he and Big Mike released their only Rap-A-Lot album under the Convicts brand. Legend has it that the album reached the ears of then Death Row Records head Suge Knight, who wanted to sign Mike to Death Row. Mike decided instead to join a revamped version of The Geto Boys after Willie D left. However, Mike & 3-2 did take a meeting with Suge, even staying in Long Beach and recording music with Warren G & Snoop Dogg.

“He was the one who told me, ‘We don’t love these hoes!'” – Snoop Dogg

Depending on who you hear it from, Snoop took a bit from Mr. 3-2 in terms of flows & slang. Snoop even credits Mr. 3-2 with gifting him the classic, “We don’t love these hoes” line. That the “Death Row Inmates” track from Dr. Dre & Snoop was directly influenced by The Convicts. Regardless, Mr. 3-2 did lay claim to a plenty of firsts in rap history. On UGK’s seminal 1996 album Ridin’ Dirty, he’s the first verse you hear after Ronnie Spencer’s Isley Brother imitation on “One Day”. The 1991 track “1-900-Dial-A-Crook” easily is an early version of what Jay Z accomplished on 2000’s “1-800-Hustler” on The Dynasty: Roc La Familia.

Bun B says it was 3-2 who pushed him to go harder on Ridin’ Dirty. The self-proclaimed Governor of Texas, Mr. 3-2 found most of his time as a rap star that was underrated and beset by real life situations. He may have never gotten his full due as an innovator or even a great rapper. But he was great, he was rather excellent and he’s another Houston mainstay that will be missed.

9 Responses

1. Mercedes Mallard

I’ve known Chris since he was 17.. he was always a big softy at heart. I will miss him deeply.

2. Young Lou

R.I.P. Mr 3-2. More bs taking out another black man plus another SUC rapper. Crazy. Smh

3. Felle

Awe mane the Governor. H-town hold ya head…. MC Wicket Cricket- Fat Pat- The Crooked Alligator- Dj Screw you- Big Mello- Mafio- Feesu- HA dub K- My Special K- too many and too many more I can name… Love and Miss yall

4. KLAS'ONE

A lot of people don’t know that the song “one day” by Ugk. Was originally 3-2 song, for his first solo album. But unfortunately it never came out. It was originally Produced by Big Boss of the group 4deep. But when Pimp c heard the song he wanted to use it.R.i.p Big Boss & 3-2.

5. Sonya Wanya

Rest in peace. You will never be forgotten. I’ve know Christopher and family from way back before 1990’s and school. God bless you and your family.

6. Tracy

I remember I was 15 yrs old and 32 was on the phone with one of my older home girls and she had me rapping for him and when I finish she asked him what he thought and he replied,”She cuss to much” lol I was young but,it was a learning experience so I can say he introduced one of the do’s and don’t as a rap artist!R.I.P. 2 1 of H-Tex finest!Da good die young….

7. Tracy Walker