In the wake of the Justice Department’s scathing report on the Ferguson police department and their racist actions to fund city projects and their own pockets, waves of change have hit the small Missouri town that rocketed into the national spotlight last August with the shooting death of unarmed citizen Michael Brown by now retired police officer Darren Wilson. Many within the local government have resigned and tensions boiled over outside the police department last night after Chief Thomas Jackson resigned from his position.

During a massive protest outside of the police station, violent arrests were made and two officers were shot. Much like the Brown shooting some seven months prior, citizen journalists took to social media to spread news of the chaos and the fervor that existed outside of the Ferguson police department early Thursday morning.

According to the AP, a 32-year-old officer was shot in the face and another officer, 41, was shot in the shoulder as protestors demonstrated outside the building. Eyewitnesses say the shooter was not part of the crowd demonstrating and was more than several feet from anyone else. Both officers were listed in serious condition.

“‘I don’t know who did the shooting, to be honest with you,’ St. Louis County Police Chief John Belmar said, adding that he could not provide a description of the suspect or gun.

“‘He said his “assumption” was that, based on where the officers were standing and the trajectory of the bullets, “these shots were directed exactly at my officers.’”

Deray McKesson, an activist who has documented everything going on in Ferguson since the Brown shooting was on hand yet again to let the world in on what he personally saw before other news outlets discredited or fabricated bits of the story.

As his own personal fear escalated and the potential threat of another forceful police response lingered, McKeeson stayed on the scene.

Officers then drew shotguns and advanced upon the hill, the one where the shots originated from. THe standoff and ensuing tension between police and residents lasted until 2 AM as of McKesson’s last tweets. Looks like we’re preparing for yet another long year in the formerly sleepy Missouri town.